Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tutorial Tuesday: Upcycled Refinished Wood Crate

As of late, I am a weekend DIY warrior.


In NYC, a huge number of people tend to move between the months of June and August...which means trash days are a lot more interesting, as tons of discarded furniture, home accessories and knickknacks end up on the curb.  


On my way to work Friday, I spied this perfectly good wooden crate atop a Ikea coffee table (far past its prime).  Since I'm a city girl, wooden farm crates are not exactly common, so I saved grabbed it.  I'm always looking for storage solutions, and I'm big on upcycling, so this was a good find :)


Total project time:  about an hour (I was watching a movie as I sanded and painted, so I'm sure this could have been done far more efficiently heehee).


Here's what it looked like before:





Nothing a good sanding and a coat of wood stain couldn't fix.  Here's the after:





I used Minwax Wood Finish in Provincial (under $5 at Home Depot), a cheap brush (under $2 at Home Depot)  and a sanding block by 3M's Pro Grade Dual Angle Sanding Sponge (about $3.50 at Home Depot) bringing the total cost of the project to about $10.50.  Not bad for extra storage!


Next step:  I'm going to get some chalkboard paint and paint one of the top slats for easy labeling.  I *thought* I had some chalkboard paint left over from when I painted my front entry, but alas, I did not.  Pics to come once that's done :)

No comments:

Post a Comment