Monday, August 6, 2012

Review: My July Beauty Army Kit

I had been browsing different monthly beauty samples programs (ex: Glossybox, Birchbox, etc) and settled on Beauty Army, namely due to the cost (about $13 a month) and their range of samples (i.e. high end mixed with drugstore buys).  Overall, I was disappointed with the experience.


First:  I ordered my box and selected my samples around July 4th.  My box was supposed to be packed and shipped within a couple days of sample selection.  Nope.  It took about a week and an email from me to customer service to find what was going on with my kit.  The box eventually arrived at the end of July.
Second:  When my samples finally arrived, I was disappointed again.  The size of the Egyptian Magic sample, which I was super excited about trying since I've heard nothing but great things about the product, was far too small to use more than once...and the sample I received from Apothoderm was only half full!  It's a sample size already, and you're only going to fill it halfway?!?  That's cheap.
So, onto the review of each product:


Egyptian Magic All Purpose Skin Cream:  As I mentioned earlier, such a tiny sample!  It seemed moisturizing...but the smell!  Not appealing.  It's something I'd use before bed, but that's because I'm single, and when I sleep, no one else has to smell me.  But is it worth the $38 price tag?  I can get similar (odorless) results from coconut oil.  Ruling: 3 stars. I'll probably finish it.


NeoCell Micro-Resurfacing Skin Treatment by CellCeuticals:  This was my favorite sample by far.  With micro-dermabrasion treatments, you don't need a ton per use, so I've been able to use this product several times since I received it.  I like how as I use it, the abrasive part of the scrub seems to melt into my skin.  I have a great micro-derm scrub already, but depending on price, I may switch when mine is gone...
Ruling: 3.5 stars.  I'll finish it and may purchase.


Guava Showergel by Korres:  I love Korres.  I've never been disappointed by anything I've purchased from them.  This was super moisturizing, and though I wasn't crazy about the scent (it smelled like a pina colada), but I loved the way it made my skin feel.  Ruling: 3.5 stars.  I'll finish it and may purchase.


Apothoderm Skin Care Science:  I don't feel comfortable reviewing a sample of something I barely received.


Besame Crimson Rouge:  Extremely drying when used on my lips.  Haven't used it on my cheeks yet, so I will report back.


Pssssst Instant Dry Shampoo: Great sample.  Instantly adds volume.  I need to make sure I hold it far enough away from my head when I spray it, though, because it does leave a bit of a white residue when I hold it too close. Ruling: 4 stars.  Incorporating it into the routine.


I cancelled my subscription to Beauty Army after receiving this box.  I have to say, their customer service was incredibly responsive and pleasant, though I was disappointed that even though I mentioned that the half full sample was a big part of the reason I was cancelling, they didn't offer to replace it.  Ruling:  1 star. Abandoned.

1 comment:

  1. I, too will be cancelling my Beauty Army subscription. I had been pleased for the first eight months but they seem to have gone downhill lately. Last month I was unable to order due to an unresolved technical issue on their site. Then, the selection of samples for this month was extremely lackluster - one use fragrance samples, a facial cleansing wipe and FOUR Bath and Body Works shower gels?! Are they serious? I am on the hunt for a new sample program.

    ReplyDelete